Roofing By Hernandez June 17, 2021
Roofing by Hernandez utilizes ShurFlo aluminum Gutter Guards! ShurFlo is one of the only gutter guards on the market that require No MAINTENANCE!
Pricing for an average K-5, 5-inch gutters (standard sizing only) pricing will vary per structure.
Aluminum gutters are more durable than vinyl gutters. They will not sag and can last 20 or more years in most climates, in fact ShurFlo has a 20-year warranty.
Creating a safe place at home that does not involve the homeowner climbing on the roof to clear the gutters! Gutters need to be functional and in good working condition. We want you to feel comfortable asking us about the quality product we install.
I understand how important it is to feel the need to save money but you can’t help your home or anyone in it if you end up falling off your roof. You’re really taking a risk to have gutters installed or gutter guards installed without a warranty, what happens if in a year it starts to fall or hang? You went with that guy, who knew a guy, who did the job for a really low price and now you’re stuck because he won’t answer the phone number he gave you. It’s happened to me so, I know the feeling of distress and I can’t and won’t do it again. It really is like spending money twice!
Gutter guards, leaf guards, there are several ways to describe them but they really all mean the same thing. As a homeowner you don’t know how important these are until you need them and they are affecting your budget and damaging your home.
5 Warning Signs You Need New Gutters
- Cracks or splits of any kind.
- Paint peeling on or around your gutters and/or flecks of orange.
- Pools of water or signs of mildew around your home’s foundation.
- Water damage or water marks directly beneath the gutters.
- Gutters sag or have begun to pull away from the house.
For a typical ranch home, the price will start at approximately $3,800 for 120 linear feet. Two-story homes start at $4800 for 120 linear feet.
Material used is ShurFlo colors (mill finish – aluminum or black which ensures streamline finish). You do not want visible gutters in street sightlines. They should be flush against property. Your gutters will not overflow anymore and you will be at ease with the installation.
Included in cost:
- All material is inspected before installation and clear of debris before leaving the premises.
- Cleaning and caulking all seams of the gutters.
- Re-nailing the back gutter hangers.
- Installing up to 30 additional gutter hangers.
- Resecuring all downspouts to the wall.
- Ensuring that all gutters are pitched correctly.
Height? Let’s break it down.
- Different pitches of a roof will play a factor.
- Different altitudes.
Combination of accessibility – multiple levels.
- Extra workers, extra time, dangerous conditions, minimal space between homes.
What do they do?
It’s a cover placed over the tops of your gutters. The covers keep most debris out of your gutters while still allowing water to drain from your house.
Protecting your gutters is very important. You don’t want to find yourself saying “I should have taken care of that already” when you hear the sounds of water pouring loudly on the side of your house. My husband tried a few times against my advice and ended up falling straight on his behind, hurting not only himself but our household. It was the build-up in the gutters and in theory “well, what if I just try to save us some money” reality isn’t so easy as he soon found out after his fall. Gutter guards are a simple concept to protect your gutters from debris.
Why should you get them?
*Long term costing savings.
- Keeping your gutters clear of debris saves the soffits of your roof lines affecting your budget.
- Moisture build up can occur if debris is not blocked from forming.
- Nesting the gutters, controlling the obvious, it’s a bird’s instinct to create a space in your gutters. It happens extremely frequently and creates blockage and strong downpours.
- Gutter cleaning services will not be needed. Saving money long term.
- Chicago 4 season climates – Brutal winters and ice-building effects can damage gutters. Heavy rain, high winds, and 4 season factors affect gutter maintenance.
*Sharing property lines with your neighbors – When access to the other side of your home is difficult, your home will potentially be affected, it’s safer to protect the side of the home’s structure that you can’t see or access.
- Maintaining boundaries on shared property lines can be difficult. It is your responsibility to allow a company to gain access. Preventing damage to a side of your property that you cannot easily access is a huge part of saving budget. Accessing entry and performing maintenance in advance will prevent future problems.
*Accessibility – accessibility to complete property for installation.
- Access to premises on neighboring lines needs to be provided to complete work. Reviewed above, neighbors may change but it’s still your property that needs to be addressed.
You have choices and I have included the top five gutter guard companies in Chicago so you can compare pricing and material. Hearing something like this is a bit different from a company that also has a comparable material for your gutters but we always want you to feel comfortable when choosing a long term product for your home.
As a homeowner these things typically are not thought of until it’s needed but now that we are here discussing gutter guards, there are a few things to think about.
What are the benefits?
Your home needs to be protected from the elements and gutters are part of owning a home but gutter guards give you that protection for unnecessary costs and maintenance.
What are other factors that affect your price?
Pricing will always fluctuate depending on size of coverage. Specifications to be determined.
For starters, remember homeowners to get a warranty in writing by the company installing them and discuss warranty terms so you get a good understanding about everything involved.
- No warranty means you’re on your own if something goes wrong and the long term cost will affect you financially.
Manufacturer warranty is not guaranteed. Always ask if the product comes with a warranty, manufacturer warranty is for product, it does not include company warranty for work performed or to be performed.
- Homeowner, In the long run, no one wants you to hurt yourself trying to climb on the roof or a ladder to cut corners. Harming yourself is the last thing you want to do unintentionally of course.
Does installing gutter guards under the shingles of your roof interfere with the roof warranty?
- A question to ask during estimate.
How long does the install take? Do soffits need to be inspected before the leaf guard can be installed?
- A question to ask during estimate.
Is there anything a homeowner needs to do after the install?
- A question to ask during estimate.
HOA/condominium association approval? Is it necessary?
- It’s always recommended to check with your HOA and condominium association to be sure.
It would be so much easier if being a homeowner came with instructions but as a homeowner I can tell you, you don’t know about everything involved until you find yourself needing these services.
Remember that if you are a new home owner and the previous homeowner “had” a warranty on material you now need, it may not be transferable to you.
Our homes are our biggest investments and we need to make the right choices.
Okay, so let’s talk about relatable information because after all, I am a homeowner and a customer.
It’s important to provide you with all the information you need to make great decisions. If you have more questions about all things roofing and want to ask them. I suggest you write down a list of questions so they can be answered when they come out for your appointment to give you an estimate. It’s the best way to ensure you don’t forget something.
Did I miss anything? I know what I forgot to say, have a great day.
Contact Roofing by Hernandez Inc. for competitive, reliable gutter guards. Estimates by appointment at 312-439-0556!
*All prices subject to change and availability.Read More