Roofing By Hernandez August 26, 2021
Residential Shingle Roof Tune-Up: Avoiding the New Installation
If you own a Chicagoland residential or commercial property with an asphalt shingle roofing system, you should know that there’s a lot more to owning a roof of that type than just admiring its aesthetic value – at least if you want to avoid roof replacement and the associated new roof installation costs. Luckily, you have the licensed, insured and highly experienced professionals from Roofing by Hernandez on your side so you’ll always be a phone call away from the finest shingle roofing services in Chicago and the surrounding communities. And at incredibly low prices too!
But don’t worry, there are some things you can do to lengthen the functional lifespan of your roof shingles with a pro on your side. We’ll cover the steps the team at Roofing by Hernandez will take once you sign up for regular roof maintenance – the absolute best way to avoid new installation costs tied to your existing shingle roof. First, let’s look at what damages an asphalt shingle roof here in Chicago. That includes, but is not limited to:
- The Elements: Weather plays a huge role in the effective lifespan of your asphalt shingle roof.
- Pests, Moss & Algae: A variety of living things can wreak havoc on your asphalt shingle roof.
- Shoddy Installation: Substandard roof installs can cause a lot of unseen damage over time.
- Ignoring Maintenance: Just like any working system, roofs take maintenance to remain effective.
- Environmental Factors: Some roofs suffer greater environmental degradation due to location.
- Lack of Repairs: If an asphalt shingle repair was botched or overlooked trouble will always follow.
What Can We Do Together To Help Avoid Roof Installation?
Okay, so we’ve covered all the different ways that your asphalt shingle roof can sustain damage in and around Chicago. But what can you do as a property owner to forestall the costs of new roof installation? How can you avoid them for as long as possible? That’s easy – roof maintenance from Roofing by Hernandez. But here are a few steps a home or business owner can take on their own to make roof maintenance more effective in the long run. And by that we mean saving you money over time by limiting the roofing costs you pay out.
Why is that important you ask? Simple. Think of your asphalt shingle roof as a working system – like a sailing ship. It does work by repelling moisture and the elements while performing a necessary function in completing the structure of your residential or commercial property. The roof – be it shingle or any other system – plays an integral role in structural integrity and we all can agree that that’s an important job. You wouldn’t set sail on a boat that had not seen maintenance in a decade so why trust your roof to chance in the same way?
Here are a few preliminary steps you can take as a property owner before you call Roofing by Hernandez for a free roof maintenance estimate:
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed back away from your roof. Falling limbs and leaves are a problem waiting to happen so avoid it by keeping your roof clear of vegetation.
- While staying safe – no hanging from DIY harnesses or ropes, remove all debris and leaves from the roofing regularly. Don’t use a hose to spray it off as you may just make it worse.
- Visually check your shingles from the ground or from the street to identify any missing or broken shingles. Check for discoloration. This is especially important after storms and high winds.
- Clear your gutter system frequently to ensure organic matter buildup doesn’t begin to encroach on the asphalt shingle roofing. Water pooling in gutters is a major problem.
- Watch your downspouts during rainstorms to catch any issues with water flowing efficiently through the system. Leaks or drips are signs of clogs and should be checked by our pros.
What Is Roof Maintenance from Roofing by Hernandez?
Want the short answer? It’s the most effective and affordable way to extend the functional lifespan of asphalt shingle roofing in all of Chicagoland. As to what it entails, that will be a little bit different for each customer and each particular asphalt shingle roof that we maintain. However, every roof maintenance visit will include all listed below (where applicable):
- Remove and replace up to 25 shingle tabs.
- Nail down any pop-up nails.
- Nail down aluminum air vents.
- Apply rubberized caulking around chimney flashing.
- Apply rubberized caulking around all plumbing, venting, soil, and lead stacks.
- Clean gutters free of debris.
- Nail down all loose gutter spikes.
- Will install up to 25 gutter hangers where needed.
- Install gutter strainers in each downspout opening.
- Re-Attach any downspout that have pulled away from the building.
- Apply rubberized caulking around skylights.
Avoid Installation with Maintenance – Step #1: Roof Inspection
The most important element in avoiding new roof installation costs through roof maintenance – and one that’s present in every roof maintenance visit from Roofing by Hernandez – is a thorough roof inspection. Our highly-skilled professionals will walk every inch of the roof and examine it closely from every angle to find even the slightest hint of an issue. And we’ll listen to you about any past issues or repairs so that we can focus even more closely on those areas. That ensures that we always keep our eyes on what’s most advantageous to your asphalt shingle roofing’s long lifetime.
Avoid Installation with Maintenance – Step #2: Necessary Repairs
So, what do we do after we complete our roof inspection? We address each and every issue we identified to be certain that they pose no more danger to our customer or their shingle roofing. That includes simple roof repairs like replacing broken or missing shingles and/or flashing that could allow water to make its way into the roofing system and cause havoc. This includes flashing that’s in hard-to-reach areas too – like around chimneys and skylights – so you’ll be completely covered and safe from moisture until our next visit. Oh, we may even recommend repairs or replacements for existing system elements like gutters and downspouts if we believe it in your best interests. Plus, we handle that work ourselves so no need for another contractor!
Avoid Installation with Maintenance – Step #3: Clear Communication
With Roofing by Hernandez, you’ll always know exactly what’s happening with your asphalt shingle roofing – so long as our roof maintenance teams are on the job. We pride ourselves on our open and honest communication with home and business owners and always provide recommendations we truly believe are to their benefit – from roof maintenance to roof repairs to roof certifications. It’s why we have a five-star reputation across the web from customers just like you – customers who needed an honest contractor to assist them in avoiding the costs of new roof installation. If we can, we will and our roof maintenance plans are the most effective step you can take to extend the lifetime of your roofing for years and years to come.
Avoid Installation with Maintenance – Step #4: Detailed Recordkeeping
We know what you’re thinking – why does recordkeeping matter? Believe it or not, it matters in exactly the same way a report on a used car helps a buyer or a mechanic. By understanding what’s been done to a roof, when it was done and how it was done, we can better understand the issues we see today, tomorrow and years after. Think of the recordkeeping you and the team from Roofing by Hernandez do as a guidebook for any contractor or inspector who comes afterward – and then consider that everything you can share with them will mean less time onsite and lower costs for you across the board. And again, this will help you stave off new roof installation by giving your roofer the best information available about your asphalt shingle roof’s history.
Call Roofing by Hernandez For Help Avoiding New Roof Installation Costs
When you’re ready to discuss how Roofing by Hernandez can help you avoid new roof installation costs, all you have to do is reach out to our team for quick answers and a free estimate visit. Our highly experienced staff will walk you through the process of setting an appointment and address any concerns you may have about the costs and timelines associated with service. It’s that easy to get started when you choose our family owned and operated roofing team for all your roofing needs – especially roof maintenance where we excel above all others in the Chicagoland area. Call (312) 439-0556 or use our contact form today!Read More